The Roding Valley Cycle Hub Project.
Wouldn’t it be good to have a new traffic-free cycle route linking Buckhurst Hill and Loughton with Chigwell:-
We’ve drawn up plans for a safe cycle lane network, starting by connecting Chigwell, Buckhurst Hill and Loughton.
The network would use popular routes, linking schools & colleges, places of work, tube stations, and places of beauty: e.g. the Roding Valley Meadows Nature Reserve and the Lee Valley Regional Park.
Roding Cycle Hub.
The network’s main features would be shared use of pavements and improved crossing of the barriers made by the M11 and the River Roding. We think that this network would, by encouraging more cycling, be an incredibly strong enhancement to the local area, in the following ways:
• reducing traffic, particularly during the school run
• improving the fitness of the local population
• increasing safety for cyclists
• helping children and young people become more independent
• reducing individuals’ transport costs
• reducing pollution and the output of carbon dioxide & other greenhouse gases
We’ve had very positive meetings with local schools, Essex County Council staff and Sustrans (the charity who operate the National Cycle Network), but nothing can happen until a detailed feasibility study is carried out, this costs money. Sustrans have estimated over seven thousand pounds to complete the study.
Happily two of our local councils (Buckhurst Hill Parish Council and Loughton Town Council) have already pledged more than a thousand pounds towards getting this professional feasibility study carried out, and we’re having conversations along these lines and others, with Essex County Council.
- We need more people to join in, to move things on. Want to get involved?;
- Sign up to support this local venture to get more of Essex Cycling.
- Do you have any experience or expertise to advise us?
- Follow us on Twitter @RodingCycleHub
- Or Facebook Roding Cycle Hub
- Or please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We would love to hear from you.